Mike heads up the team of property litigation specialists covering the entire range of commercial and residential property disputes. He has 15 years experience and has spent the majority of his career at international law firm Clyde & Co, where he was the legal director in property litigation. He regularly advises on issues relating to vacant possession, dilapidations, forfeiture, service charges, rent reviews, nuisance, trespass and rights to light. He also advises on contested and uncontested lease renewals, and possession actions. He works closely with property clients to achieve their objectives, particularly developers, retailers and high net worth individuals.
In the last year, Mike has published articles in Property Week and Estates Gazette as well as providing commentary in The Times, Guardian and retail publications. He is an active member of the St Albans business community and has held positions such as director and chairman of St Albans Business Improvement District.
Notable examples of Mike’s work are-
- Successfully defended a major retailer on a dispute over a substantial call centre threatened with forfeiture of lease due to inherited liability from a previous owner.
- Settled a substantial dilapidations claim for a firm of chartered accountants in Watford.
- Acted for the leaseholders of a penthouse flat in Cadogan Square. They were defendants in a claim for nuisance due to leaks from their flat, which had caused substantial damage to the flat below.
- Acted for the owner of a property on a private estate in South West London who wanted to build a development in his garden. There was a dispute with the freeholder of the private road about potential access. An application for declaratory relief was issued.
- Acted for a developer in relation to a dispute concerning a joint venture agreement for the purposes of developing 14 flats in Sussex. The dispute resulted in a 4 day High Court trial.
- Acted for a developer defending a right of light claim threatening completion of a luxury penthouse flat in Bayswater.
- Acted for a director of a major PLC on a dispute with his former partner concerning how properties in Surrey and Barbados were held, which had been acquired during their relationship.
- Acted for a Abu Dhabi national in relation to a dispute concerning title of a Chelsea property, purchased for a price in excess of £5million. Issued proceedings for a declaration that the property was held on trust for him.
- Acted in a matter against a developer for a claim under defective premises of a £2m luxury apartment.