Paul Marmor discusses with Diana Bentley the benefits and issues of developing an international legal practice for Lexis Nexis and considers:
- Why should firms consider adding another dimension to the practice by gaining expertise in another country and what benefits would this bring?
- How can a firm assess opportunities for an international practice and what risks and opportunities should they be aware of?
- What are some different ways in which a firm can build a practice in this way and what are some options to do this? Eg bringing in specialists from other jurisdictions into your current office(s), by expanding your own law firm into another country, by merging with another law firm with presence in the market you’re interested in?
- What are some key challenges of managing an international practice? Eg regulatory, financial and building up a client base etc.
- What do you predict the impact of Brexit will be for any UK firms wishing to expand to another country?
Interview by Diana Bentley for Lexis Nexis